A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, August 4, 2017

5 Memories from my Hometown Run!



Hey all! I am linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 5 2.0!

Today, my theme for Friday 5 is:

5 Memories from my Hometown run!


This past Sunday, I drove up to my hometown, Millersburg, PA, for a family gathering. I went a little early to do a six mile run around town. Boy did it bring back memories!

First of all, whenever I go to my parent's house, I always park under Grandpa and Uncle Jack. Millersburg recently hung up veterans banners all around town, and my Grandpa and Uncle Jack's banners hang right across the street from my parent's house.


I miss them a lot. Grandpa died when I was in college and Uncle Jack died a little over a year ago.

1. First, I ran down to the river and by the swinging bridge. I even saw the ferry boat coming across the river! The riverfront looks different than it did when I was a kid, but I remember playing down there as a child. We'd tube down the rapids, catch crawfish, and have fried chicken picnics!





2. Then, I ran up Moore Street past my grandparent's old house, looped around The Heights, and went down into Seal Park. We used to play at Seal Park all the time. I even remember my brother pushing me off the little bridge across the creek and into the water!



3. Next to Seal Park is the Millersburg Pool. I spent most of my summers at the pool. We'd ride our bikes there in the morning for swim team practice, ride home for lunch, and then ride back when the pool opened at 1pm! Do you remember pool food? Nachos, soft pretzels, Fun Dip, Cow Tails...


4. Then, I ran around the high school/middle school campus. First, I ran up to the high school track and did a couple loops! 


We used to play King of the Hill on this hill behind the bleachers!

I lasted 5 practices on the track team and then I quit!

This is the pay phone we used to use in band to call our parents after a football game to come pick us up! I'm surprised it's still there. I wonder if it works?

This is the grass in front of the middle school. After I made it on to the student council, I was so excited to tell my mom. I was carrying my back pack and clarinet and ran across the grass to my mom's car to tell her the good news. Then I tripped and face planted on the grass!

5. The elementary school was clear across town, but that's where I headed next! I ran the back roads to Lenkerville and checked out the playground. I was sad to see that the only equipment that still existed from my days at the elementary school were the swings and the bug. Although, that was 25 years ago, so that's pretty good! Then I just had to run around the side of the building and check out the kindergarten playground. There was NOTHING left from our kindergarten playground. It looks like they put up a new basketball hoop or something...


By this point, I was at 5.5 miles so I headed home. It was a hot slow run, but it brought back some good memories!

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me about a memory from your hometown!

Were you a pool kid?

Have you ever been back to your elementary school to check it out?

20 comments:

  1. My parent live right next to our High School so that hasn't changed too much. I think they got a digital sign out front instead of one you insert the letters in. They were in the process of renovating the school while I was in High School so I'm sure it is good for many years now. As far as my Elementary school, I haven't been there in ever. I wonder if they still have the same playground equipment up. My cousin works there, I'l have to ask him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when I see digital signs popping up in my hometown! I want it to continue to look old timey. :) On the square in Millersburg, there is a restaurant called The Wooden Nickle and they now have a digital sign. It looks crappy because the square is so charming. It would be like a digital sign in Mifflinburg haha.

      Delete
  2. Oh! I love that you did this! When I turned 30, I ran 30 miles but drove to each city that I had spent a good portion of my life in and ran 10 miles in each place. Obviously I couldn't drive to Calgary where I was born or LA where we lived when I was 3, but it was still cool to run through my old neighborhoods. I wonder if I should run 40 miles when I'm 40? Ha ha ha. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea! I love trips down memory lane.

      Delete
  3. What a great hometown run! I and to be able to park by your Grandpa!

    I like running by my old high school, I ran there with my brother back in June. Where I went to High school is now the middle school, and it's all different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul's high school (Middletown) got torn down and they built a HUGE pimpin one. How do they have the money to do that!?

      Delete
  4. I love that your uncle and grandpa both have flags. And so cool that they are in front of your parent's house! Was that planned? I am thankful for their service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was planned to have them right by the square near our house. :) It is funny because on the 4th of July, we watched the fireworks in the little grassy area in front of my parent's house and it was right near the flags. I said, "Awwww Grandpa and Uncle Jack get to see the fireworks!!!"

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! It's always fun to run by places that meant so much to you when you were growing up

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a really lovely area.

    I haven't been to my elementary school in many years, and I've only driven past my high school a few times (and haven't been back to my college, either). I'm not real sentimental about those things.

    I used to be more a lake kid growing up -- we went to day camp in the summers and it had a lake. That's where I mostly learned to swim. Sometimes my parents would come & we'd stay out there after camp let out. Unfortunately that camp no longer exists. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is sad. I get sad when places get torn down or changed so much that they are not the same. It's nice you at least have your memories. :)

      Delete
  7. My high school doesn't exist anymore since Wellesley built a new one and knocked mine down. Since I moved around for parents' jobs, I have two elementary schools and two middle schools, but that was my one high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have lived and traveled to so many places!

      Delete
  8. That was such a fun post! Really awesome to see your hometown. Since I live in my hometown (and only a few blocks from where I grew up) I am always running by my old schools and reminiscing. Where Rick and I live now used to be a huge pasture full of horses we would walk down to pet. Yes, pool kids! There is a very nice pool at the high school and we would walk down there every day to swim. A few years ago, I used to swim there on my lunch break and would spend the entire time thinking about all the time I spent there as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the pics aren't that great but I tried! Did you always live in your hometown? I feel like you and Rick lived somewhere else, but I could be wrong. Where did you go to college?

      Delete