A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, August 17, 2017

CA Day 6 (Point Lobos, Winchester Mystery House, + Red Eye!)


Okay, this is a little late, but here is a recap of our last day of vacation. It was quite a long day... We got up at 7:00am on Sunday and didn't get home until... 3:15pm on Monday!

If you missed it, here is Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, and Day 5!

On Sunday, we got up early to go hiking. I just had to show Paul the Steep Ravine Trail I got to run on during my race the day before. It was so beautiful and I knew he would love it. We ended up hiking about 3.5 miles. Paul LOVED it. I'm so glad I got to show it to him.












Then we headed back to our hotel to shower before our check out at 11:00am. We headed to San Francisco! It was so foggy that we could barely see the Golden Gate Bridge even when we were ON it. It was so strange. You couldn't even see the bay or very far in front of your face. It was all fog.


We headed over to Sutro Heights Park, which we visited the first time we were in San Francisco. It's so beautiful! 






We walked around a little, but then realized we were hungry and had to eat first. We originally thought about eating at The Cliff House, which is where we ate the last time we were here, but at this point in our trip we were thinking we better start trying to save a little money. So instead we ate at Louis' Restaurant... where sodas were $3.95!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! But food was good though and the view was great!




Then we really started to explore Point Lobos, the Sutro Baths, and the rest of the park. Yes, I was cold in those shorts!




There was a scary tunnel!







Paul has a picture of me at this exact spot from 5 years ago! Here it is...


When we were done walking around, we drove about 1.5 hours south to San Jose where we took a tour of the Winchester Mystery House. This was the house Sarah Winchester, the heiress to the Winchester rifles fortune, lived. The house had so many rooms. It was really hot in the house due to there being no air conditioning!


OMG! I was so happy when I saw this sign! Earlier this summer, Paul and I were on a tour of the old jailhouse in Jim Thorpe and there was a guy chewing gum SO LOUD!!!!













Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside the house, so since I'm a rule follower, all of my pictures are from the outside!



An old picture of the house after the San Francisco earthquake. Back then, the house was 7 stories tall, but now it's only 4.

Awwwww she had a puppy!!! I bet he loved zipping around the mansion!

After the tour, we headed back up to San Francisco. Check out the cool fog rolling in...


Paul organized our dinner plans at Southern Pacific Brewing Company, which was in the Mission District. This was probably my favorite brewery I have ever been to. I don't drink beer, so I am scoring it off the fact that the ambiance was good, they had a full bar, and the food was DIVINE!!!









During dinner, I was very anxious and worried about our approaching red eye flights. Our first flight was delayed by 20 minutes, which was only going to give us 41 minutes to make our connection! I know 41 minutes may seem like a lot, but we were seated near the back of the first plane. So it could easily take 10-15 minutes to deplane. Also, gates close 15 minutes before a flight. So BEST CASE SCENARIO, we would have 20 minutes to make it to our gate- provided we arrived exactly on time!

Luckily, our first flight landed 25 minutes early so we made our connection. Ativan + the fact that it was in the middle of the night meant that I did get to sleep through a lot of the flights!

When we landed in Philly, we took the Septa to the Amtrak station since that's how we were getting back to Harrisburg. At the Amtrak station, I had breakfast... a LARGE FROSTY! Hey, I deserved it!


On the train... home soon.

I sneakily got this pic of Paul sleeping on the train...

... and he sneakily got this one of me!


When we got to Harrisburg, my dad (who works at the station) took us home.

IT WAS SOO GOOD TO BE HOME!

You know us... we love vacation, but we love our home too!

Thanks for reading about all of our vacation adventures! Next year, we plan to do something LOW KEY and relaxing.

Did you ever miss a connecting flight?
Have you ever taken a Red Eye?
What is your favorite brewery?

6 comments:

  1. Your vacation looks like alot of fun! I tend to opt for low key vacations. I love checking out breweries in different areas. Its support to rain a little this week in Charleston so we are planning to try out a brewery or 2 if that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some good breweries! Our vacations are never low key. But next year we want to do low key and try something new. But not for long... I could never be low key for long.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is making me want to go to California so bad now!! Thanks for sharing all of your trip. You look like you are in a movie for Jurassic Park with the huge trees at that park! It's so crazy about the fog and how chilly San Francisco is. Long pants and jackets are definitely needed! What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Fern Canyon, the place we hiked the first day, was a location where they filmed Jurrasic Park 3! But yes, it does look like it's all from a movie.

      Delete
  3. Aww the winchester mansion looks lovely, even the landscaping outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like the mansion tour. :)

      Delete