A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, October 20, 2017

Baltimore Marathon Memories- Friday 5!



Hey all! I am linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 5 2.0!

Tomorrow, I am running in a relay team at the Baltimore Marathon! Meranda @ Fairytales and Fitness, Ana @ Mother, Hike, Run, Heather @ Heather's Spin, and I will be covering the 26.2.

I ran the Baltimore Marathon in 2009 for "fun". And I actually did have fun when I ran it! The race is on a Saturday, which is kind of weird. It threw me off a bit, as you will read below...

Today, in honor of my second running of Baltimore (well, part of it), I'm going to share 5 things I remember about running the Baltimore Marathon in 2009.

Note: I would have included race photos to make this post more interest but I didn't take any! I went to the race by myself and this was before I had a smartphone, so it's not like I carried my big bulky camera at the race.


1. I accidentally worked out the day before the race. Full disclosure... I was deep in my exercise addiction/disordered eating back in 2009. But even back when I was all messed up, I would still rest the day before a marathon! But I accidentally was on the elliptical for an hour on Friday morning! I just wasn't thinking! The race was on a Saturday, which was weird... so that's what threw me off.

2. Transportation issues. My first transportation issue was that I got lost on the way to my hotel! This was in 2009... back before I had a GPS or smart phone. I had printed out Mapquest directions which were CRAP. I had to call Paul and my friend Maren (who lives in Baltimore) for directions to get to my hotel. After I finally got there, for some reason I needed to take a cab to the expo to pick up my bib. (I probably had to take a cab because I didn't know how to get there!)  But I ran out of cash, and on the way home from the expo, I had to tell the cab driver I had X amount of dollars (I forget how much) and to just drive me as far as my money would take me. The driver took me all the way back. I guess he didn't want to just drop me off somewhere. Solid guy.

My second transportation issue was actually getting to the race. The garage I parked my car in was LOCKED at that early hour and I couldn't get my car out! I was several miles from the start line and there was no way I would make it in time. But a couple in their 50s, who were running the marathon (they had their bibs and everything) offered to give me a ride and I took it. I mean, they were CLEARLY running the marathon... but no, I didn't know them. They didn't murder me.

3. I wore the race shirt on race day. I often read about how it is a SIN to wear the race shirt on race day. LIGHTEN UP, PEOPLE! At this race, I wore the race shirt on race day and everything turned out FINE. I have since thrown out that shirt even though I loved it. It was a dry tech short sleeve. I wore it so often that it developed a bit of an odor. Okay, it was rancid.


4. At mile 20, I was full of all sorts of energy! Since I was only running for "fun" I wasn't stressing out about my paces. I remember when I reached mile 20, I let out a little whoop and yelled, "Woooo, Mile 20, guys!!!!" but no one around me was having it. They were DEEP in the throws of Mile 20 pain. I get it. I've been there before. But not on this day. On this day, I felt great!

5. I was still in the bathroom when the race started. I didn't care. I was just running for fun! Plus, it was chip timed, so it didn't matter, right!?


HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you have strong opinions about race shirts on race day?

Have you ever actually felt good at mile 20?

Would you have gotten in the car with the couple?

21 comments:

  1. I didn't know you ran this race before, did I?
    I say wear the race shirt if you want! To me, it's one less thing to pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I mentioned it. It was awhile ago and I don't have too many memories from it. Writing this out helped stir some though.

      Delete
  2. I don't have strong opinions about race shirts on race day, but I guess to me, I can't wear it until after I've earned it.

    I had one marathon where I felt fab the entire time. There was no wall. Mile 20? Just another mile on the route. That was A RACE. :p

    Good luck this weekend! Sounds like a fun crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It should be a good time. I hope everyone can at least have one marathon where they feel great the whole time! I think Baltimore was the one I felt my best.

      Delete
  3. LOL, I totally would have taken that ride with the couple. One of these years I'll run Baltimore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it's going to be a huuuuuuge race.

      Delete
  4. I have been in the bathroom when a race started as well! Oops! have a great time this weekend the weather is looking beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you ran the marathon for fun...and you really did have fun running it! Any time you can be in good spirits at mile 20, you know it's a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How smart phones have changed our lives! Cameras, GPS, information at our finger tips, lol! Love that you did the race for fun, really takes a weight off! Good luck for the relay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really changes things to have that little computer/camera in our pockets!

      Delete
  7. I don't have strong opinions on Race shirts on race day... but I do have Opinions. My biggest complain is when races give their volunteer the exact same shirt as the race shirt... cough cough Harrisburg Marathon cough cough.... and the volunteers wear the shirt All the time, like they actually ran a marathon.

    I am so glad for GPS and smart phones!

    Watch out Baltimore!! We are on our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think they wear it to make people think they ran the marathon or do you think they just wear it because they volunteered and it's a nice shirt?

      Delete
  8. I stress about race day logistics. I ended up booking a room at the SLS in Vegas because the 10k start line is right outside. I obsess about how I'm going to get to the start line, so that'll take some stress out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How convenient you will be right there. Good call!

      Delete
  9. The Baltimore half was my first half in 2007 (actually my first race) and I wore the race shirt! Now I don't, but I feel like the ones that the Baltimore running festival gives out are good quality and I used to them so I would wear those on race day. Oh and I was also in the bathroom when the race started in 2007! I don't think I really understood chip timing but I was more concerned with making sure my bladder was empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like our shirt this year. It's a nice blue color and thick!

      Delete
  10. Baltimore is on my radar....our oldest daughter lives in Harrisburg, PA, so she's not too far from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No she's not! That s where I'm from, Camp Hill, which is just outside Harrisburg.

      Delete
  11. I have always wondered if some day i would be the last to start a race!

    ReplyDelete